HP3000-L Archives

May 2003, Week 1

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 11:57:48 -0700
Alfredo writes:
>    Place the pointer just past the left margin of the paragraph
>    until it changes to a right-pointing arrow, and then click.

> Is this a hard-wired Windows feature or is there a way to
> configure it to suit the user's desires?

Here's a workaround for Reflection.

Go to Setup->Display->/Screen\ and set the Column width to 84 (or four more
than whatever you normally use).  Then, assuming you're sitting at a single
":" MPE prompt, press the space bar three times and then type <ESC>4 to set
the left margin in the fifth screen column.

Now your whole screen is effectively shifted over four characters (and we've
extended the width of the screen by four characters so things don't wrap
differently).  You now have an extra four columns of "swiping room" at the
left of each line.  Four columns may be overkill, and you can make it only a
single column if you like by setting the terminal width to 81 and just
hitting <ESC>4 when the cursor is in the second column.

<ESC>9 will turn off the left margin.

Some quick testing suggests that most programs seem to work well in this
mode.

If you don't care about only having 79 columns rather than the usual 80,
then you can skip setting the Reflection screen width and just use <ESC>4
and <ESC>9 to switch on and off an extra column of space (assuming you're at
a single character prompt like a ":" at the time.

You could automate the whole thing in a couple of command files, including
the setting of the Reflection terminal width, but I think this would require
sending a high-level configuration parameter command to Reflection Command
Language via an escape sequence since I don't think there is a simple escape
command for setting the column width to something other than 80 or 132.

G.