UTCSTAFF Archives

May 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Gretchen Potts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2003 15:48:54 -0400
I went to the Equifax website to check the number below and it is correct,
but when I called the number and actually did press "1",  Equifax explained
that this is an email hoax.  Unless someone has your personal information
that you have already given them, no one can receive your credit information
without fitting the following qualifications:

Section 604 of the FCRA (Permissible Purposes) sets forth the purposes that
permit a business or person to gain access to your credit file. The
permissible purposes are:

A court order, or Federal grand jury subpoena.
In accordance with written instructions from a consumer to whom the file
relates.
As part of a credit transaction involving the consumer.
To review and collect the consumer's account.
For employment purposes.
Underwriting of insurance for personal, family or household purposes.
Government Agencies for determination of consumer's eligibility for a
license or other governmental benefit
In connection with a valuation of, or an assessment of the credit or
prepayment risks as associated with an existing credit obligation.
In connection with a legitimate business need relating to a business
transaction initiated by the consumer.

You can make a request to have you name removed from mailing lists, but my
experience is that you will still continue to get them anyway.  Your credit
information is not given out to just anyone!

Gretchen E. Potts, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Chemistry, #2252
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
615 McCallie Avenue
Chattanooga, TN  37403

Phone:  423-425-5296
FAX:  423-425-5234