UTCSTAFF Archives

May 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
John Friedl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Friedl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2003 09:09:01 -0400
Greetings,

I have several announcements to share with you. As you know, last fall we
conducted a search to fill the position of Associate Provost for Academic
Affairs, a position left vacant when Jane Harbaugh retired. We were unable
to fill the position before it was frozen, along with many other faculty
and administrative positions, earlier this year. I am pleased to announce
that Dr. Jocelyn Sanders, Head of the Department of Music, has agreed to
serve as Acting Associate Provost. Filling this position on a temporary
basis with an internal candidate will result in very little additional cost
and will allow us to move forward with many of the initiatives contained in
the Strategic Plan for Academic Affairs. Jocelyn will begin her duties on
July 1.

During Jocelyn's absence from the Department of Music, Dr. Lee Harris has
agreed to serve as Acting Head of the Department. We are delighted that Dr.
Harris has agreed to step in and assume this leadership role in the Department.

Finally, we have been conducting a search for a new Dean of the Library, in
anticipation of Sheila Delacroix's decision to step down from the deanship
and return to her faculty position in the library. That search has not yet
been completed, although a final list of candidates has been identified and
will be invited to campus for interviews. Meanwhile, Sheila will be leaving
her position as Dean before we have her permanent replacement on board.

I am pleased to announce that Michael Bell has agreed to serve as Acting
Dean of the Library. Mike will begin his duties on June 1 and continue
until Sheila's permanent replacement has been named.

Please join me in congratulating Jocelyn, Lee and Mike, and in welcoming
each of them to their new duties at UTC.

Cordially,

John Friedl

John Friedl, Ph.D., J.D.
Provost and Vice Chancellor
for Academic Affairs
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
102 Founders Hall, Dept. 5555
615 McCallie Avenue
Chattanooga, TN 37403-2598
Phone: (423) 425-4633