SCUBA-SE Archives

May 2003

From:
Michael Doelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 15:32:36 -0400
ElPez escribio:

>Every quotable quote or something clever that has ever been said
in the history of mankind had been at one time or another been
correctly, or incorrectly, been attributed to Mark Twain.<

... or to Churchill. Which reminded me of a question I've wanted to ask  a
statistician who might know the US in-jokes.

There is a common saying in German: Glaube nie einer Statistik, die du
nicht selbst gefaelscht hast. Which is attributed to Winston Churchill
(not the one that wrote "All the Kings of the British Isles", but the one
known from The Big War - and  the sequel).

Translation: *never trust a statistic that you haven't falsified (faked,
forged, etc.) yourself.*

As far as I can tell, this seems to be a "well-known" Churchill quote
*only* in Germany. But it does not seem to be a "well-known" C-quote  in
England or the US. Google gives lots of hits, of course.

Have you come across  this - very  likely misattribution - before, or have
any idea where it might have originated?