SCUBA-SE Archives

May 2003

From:
Crusty Russ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2003 14:36:15 -0500
Along this line, there are two books I can strongly recommend, not only
because they are reliably accurate historically and well balanced
politically, but because they are truly a good read.

The first is a book by Carl Safina, "Song For The Blue Ocean".  It is a
fascinating book about three of the world's fisheries (North Atlantic,
Pacific Northwest, and Oceana) and written in a very even handed manner.
  He provides perspective on the situation by describing each of the
fisheries' fish and their habitat, presents the first hand story of the
fishermen (who are mostly just trying to make a living), and his
experiences with international 'gordian knot' of fisheries regulation.
'Blue Ocean' is a must-read for anyone who loves diving and the ocean.
This is not a book whining about who's right or wrong nor is it a "tree
hugger's" manual.  However, since so much of the world's population
depends on healthy fisheries to provide food and employment, this book
is a good place to start to gain insight into a problem that touches us
all.

The consummate book on how man completely wrecked the worlds greatest
fishery, is the book "Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the
World" by Mark Kurlansky.  I thought it a bit strange when a friend
highly recommended a book called Cod.  After questioning him what the
book was about, he simply replied "Cod!"  I thought, "how boring", but
it is a riveting good read and a fascinating historical text documenting
how a virtually unlimited supply of food from the worlds largest
fishery, a supply that had literally supported the world for centuries,
could be run into extinction.

Best regards,
Russ