HP3000-L Archives

April 2003, Week 4

From:
Craig Lalley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Lalley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:58:27 -0700
--- John Penney <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hey, Team:
>
> Well, we had an Operations failure last evening that has prompted management
> to task me with investigatin logging on Image databases.
>
> Please share with me:
>
> 1) Cost of Ownership

IMAGE logging is free, and comes with IMAGE.  To turn is on RUN DBUTIL.PUB.SYS
enable DBNAME for LOGGING

> 2) Ease of maintenenace

Maintenance is simple, can be done with a couple of automated batch jobs.

> 3) Degree of implementation difficulty

Intermediate knowledge of IMAGE/HP3000/Computer required.  For you John, this
is not an issue.

> 4) Abilities to Recover from failures

Depends on the failure :)  If you have the last backup, and the IMAGE log
file/files, restore and apply the logfiles.

> 5) Impact on existing users and response timing

Minimal impact on users, 2-3 percent (I haven't looked in a long time).  But I
guess it depends on the volume of transactions.

> 6) Amount of disc space required for logs

Well, you wouldn't want to keep your logs on the same volume set that the
database is on.  I would recommend adding another drive, just for the IMAGE log
files.

> 7) Backup scheduling considerations

Make sure you back up the IMAGE log files like everything else.

> 6) Any "Other" factors
>
> Additionally, anybody out there using mirrored technology? I know, the 3000
> is going the way of the dodo bird, but we demonstrate due diligence.

Get a MOD20 do hardware mirroring and be done with it.  If bottom line costs
are the issue, you may be able to get away with IMAGE logging.  But if down
time is of concern.  A Model 20 may help prevent it.

Hope that helps.

-Craig