HP3000-L Archives

April 2003, Week 4

From:
Rick Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:31:43 -0500
 Tracy Pierce <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 4) (extra credit ;-) Are there 3rd party transceivers that will
> work?  Seems there might even be a magic box that would convert
> ThinLan BNC into Ethertwist, which would save me the reboot needed
> for the MFIO jumper changes.

There used to be such a beast by a company called MiLAN.  No idea if
they are still around these days.  The little gizmo sitting in front
of me is a "THINTWIST Model MIL 120A "COAX to 10BaseT Converter.

The thing is about the size of a cigarette pack, at the "top" is an
rj45 and the connector for the external power supply (seems to want to
be fed 12 to 20 VAC). On the bottom is a BNC connector and a pair of
DIP switches - unlabled, but if I had to guess I would say link beat
and SQE.  IIRC, the thing didn't work very reliably.

Another option is to find an old bridge or hub that has both BNC and
RJ45's on it and just use that.  I know that HP used to make such
things, but for the life of me I've no idea what the product numbers
were.  At one point the little 10BaseT hubs still had one BNC
connector on them - for example, the AdvanceStack Hub-8E (J3128A) that
is sitting in my lateral file - 8 rj45 connectors, one BNC connector,
about the size of a paperback book. External power supply.

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...