HP3000-L Archives

April 2003, Week 4

From:
Denis St-Amand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denis St-Amand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 07:47:26 -0500
 Wayne,

I did some research for old tranceiver doc and found the following 28685B
info:

SQE Test:
--------
Enables or disables the signal quality error (SQE) test signal.  The factory
setting is ENABLE.
-Keep at ENABLE if attaching the transceiver to a LAN card in a computer, or
to another device that expects the SQE test signals.  Also set to ENABLE if
running a loopback test.
-Set to DISABLE if attaching the transceiver to a hub's or repeater's AUI
port.

Link Beat:
---------
Enables or disables the link beat signal.  The factory setting is ENABLE.
-Keep at ENABLE if the transceiver if used in a 10Base-T network.
-Set to DISABLE if the transceiver is used in a network that is not
compatible with the 10Base-T standard (for example HP StarLAN 10).

Loopback Test:
-------------
Enables or disables a loopback test mode for troubleshooting the
transceiver.  The factory setting is DISABLE.
-Set to ENABLE only for troubleshooting with a loopback test.

Long Cable:
----------
Allows the transceiver to be used with twisted-pair cable lengths of over
100 meters.  The factory setting is DISABLE.
-Keep at DISABLE for standard 10Base-T operation for UTP cable lengths up to
100 meters.
-Set to ENABLE when you use standard 10Base-T (level 3) UTP cable lengths up
to 150 meters, or when you use high grade (level 4) UTP cable for lengths up
to 225 meters.  You must connect to another HP EtherTwist transceiver that
also has long cable enabled.

I hope this will help !

Denis  (Remove "removeit." from email address)