HP3000-L Archives

April 2003, Week 4

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:38:07 -0700
Craig Lalley wrote:

Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I don't know if it works on MPE because after pegging an [effectively 58MHz]
A400-110 CPU at 90% for most of an hour I killed it.

Now it all makes sense.  I have a customer who is running an A400-110 and it
is one of the slowest computers I have ever seen.  As the only user I still
get awful response times. (2Gb of memory)

Is there anything that can be done to upgrade the horsepower on this snail?
I thought it might be possible to at least add a second processor, but
crashed and burned on that route (HP said it could not be done).

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

HP ought to be embarrassed by the A400-110. The actual performance
throttling versus the HP-UX version is on the order of 1/8. Note this was
done solely to promote sales of the more expensive and higher margin N-class
systems, not for any technical reason.

The number one item on the 2003 SIB with 2079 votes (vs 1694 for number two)
was "Remove CPU throttling code on affected A-/N-class systems post
10/31/2003."

HP has yet to respond.

John Burke