HP3000-L Archives

April 2003, Week 3

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 13:11:57 -0700
> The following does not appear to be a problem. But for my own
> edification I
> would like to now WHY ???
>
> Installing a used HASS "Jamaica" A3312A drive enclosure with
> (2) 9GB FWD
> SCSI-2 drives. (928RX - MPE 6.0 PP 2). Both drive modules
> appear to be the
> same part number "A5238A"
>
> I configured both drives in SYSGEN as "ST39236LC" as per
> instructions from
> HP support.

> But when I do a DSTAT ALL it shows a different Ldev-Type for Ldev 2.
>
> :dstat all
>  LDEV-TYPE            STATUS    VOLUME           VOLUME SET - GEN
>  ----------           -------   ----------------------------------
>     1-C2490AM         MASTER    MEMBER1
> MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET-0
>     2-ST39175LC       MEMBER    IPM_B_2
> MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET-0
>     3-ST39236LC       MEMBER    IPM_B_3
> MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET-0
>
> IODFAULT .PUB .SYS indicates "ST39175LC" and "ST39236LC" are
> both 9GB Wide /
> Differential SCSI devices with exactly the same configuration
> parameters.
> They appear to be working fine.
>
> I am curious how / why the HP3000 decided Ldev 2 was a
> different type. Does
> this indicate the drive inside the module is actually a
> different model and
> the HP3000 is picking up a different ID? Is there any
> potential problem with
> this difference?

DSTAT is actually reading the ID information off the drive. The difference
between SYSGEN and DSTAT does not matter, though many people alter SYSGEN
after the fact with the correct ID so it is in sync with reality. In
configuring disk drives in SYSGEN, the only thing that really matters is
that you get the correct driver. On your system there are only two, one for
FW and one for SE. So choosing ANY FW drive would have worked.

HTH,
John

* John Burke                                              *
* Burke Consulting      Email:  [log in to unmask] *
* 7224 Pine Grove Way   Phone:  (916) 987-0265            *
* Folsom, CA 95630      Web:    www.burke-consulting.com  *