HP3000-L Archives

April 2003, Week 3

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 16:34:47 -0700
Re:
> RE: Missed the autoboot: "press any key within 10 seconds".

I suggested to HP that that 10 seconds be increased to
something reasonable, say 2 minutes.  I pointed out that
in an unattended environment, 2 minutes simply won't matter
to anyone, but the *missed* "press any key" **DOES** matter to
people.

They couldn't have cared less.

I also suggested an alternative (perhaps from Gavin?) that
you be able to hit something during the initial bootup to say
"hi there, big guy...can you wait around for me?" (similar to
James' Control-B trick).

They still couldn't have cared less.

This is the kind of thing that a real technical ladder at HP
could have cured: you get the ear of the person at the lab/division
level on the ladder, convince them, and voila.  But...

Oh well,

Stan
--
Stan Sieler