HP3000-L Archives

April 2003, Week 3

From:
Tom Lang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:16:49 -0500
 Additional to Mark's comments (see "> Executed By: ronwalk" in the log
file), if it's not a logon problem.

I have seen 'other' different problems with DTS Packages.
Your post refers to:
> Step 'DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_1' failed
and
> Error Description:Package failed because Step
'DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_3' failed.

Ex 1. Task1 of the 3-Step DTS Package can also have 'trouble' due to a
'change' of data in the database.
The SQL SELECT statements in Step 1 may be selecting data for
CompanyCode='ABC'. But 'somehow' the database has been restored from a
'test' machine backup. The 'test' data has no records for CompanyCode='ABC'
but does have 'XYZ'.
In this case Step 1 will fail to create an extract file, and Step 2 will
fail to find the file, and Step 3 will fail to 'send' the file. Therefore
the whole DTS Package fails.

Ex 2. Task 1 may be able to 'correctly' execute the SELECTion criteria, but
could also be having 'trouble' because of a Folder Name Change (the folder
where it is supposed to save the extracted file). Again, Steps 1, 2 and 3
will fail, causing a Package fail.

Hope this may help give you some 'other clues'.

Kindest Regards,
Tom Lang.