HP3000-L Archives

April 2003, Week 3

From:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 16:26:18 -0400
For those who may be doing some serious Java in your integration/migration
projects, this may be of some help, especially if you hire out the work.  It
enforces a code style in your Java programs.  I haven't tried it yet, but
maybe someone with time on their hands...  ;-)

http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/

Checkstyle is a development tool to help programmers write Java code that
adheres to a coding standard. It automates the process of checking Java code
to spare humans of this boring (but important) task. This makes it ideal for
projects that want to enforce a coding standard.

Checkstyle is highly configurable and can be made to support almost any
coding standard. An example configuration file is supplied supporting the
Sun Code Conventions. As well, other sample configuration files are supplied
for other well known conventions.

A good example of a report that can be produced using Checkstyle and Maven
can be seen here.

After many months of development Checkstyle version 3 has been released.
There have been many improvements that we strongly encourage you to upgrade.
However if you are stuck on the last 2.4 release, the old documentation is
available here. Be sure to read the section about upgrading to 3.0.