HP3000-L Archives

April 2003, Week 2

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 14:32:28 -0700
Joe writes:
>         I created an SLT with @[log in to unmask] and attempted a full backup. The full backup
> hung
>         at 88% complete and would not continue. So I choose to shutdown and restart
>         the system in an attempt to get rid of the file in question.

> 'HELP'
>
>         Hint: Like MPE/iX's FINFO function?  You'll like our VEFINFO even more --
>               lets you get # of file sectors, file in-use flag, etc. -- many more
>               options than FINFO!

(it's okay to edit stuff like that out :)

>         -----Purging O60325.OUT.HPSPOOL (128 sectors)
>          Bad SYSTEM LOGICAL Sector number 0x45560  on ldev 3 (io_status=FFDD0071)
>         Filename of bad file:/HPSPOOL/OUT/O60325
>         BAD VARIABLE BLOCK STRUCTURE  (FSERR 105)
>         Unable to purge file "O60325.OUT.HPSPOOL". (CIERR 384)
>         PUB.SYS%

I'm not surprised that failed.

>  My failure to purge the file tells me that the possibility of completing a
> full backup this time will result in the same expectation.

Well, you could do:

    STORE / - O60325.OUT.HPSPOOL

> already
>         that I will be rebuilding the system volume set because I am sure that my
> LDEV
>         3 is toast.

Are you planning on replacing the drive, too?

You might be able to save some work by doing:

   - attach replacement drive, configure as a new LDEV

   - clone ldev 3 to new drive

   - detach ldev 3

Or, without cloning...

If you just want to restore $SYS, start with:

   - buldacct

to save the information about what groups.accounts are on the
various volume sets other than $SYS.

Save the two BULDJOB# files created by BULDACCT somewhere (tape, or
PC download)

After reinstalling the OS on the old $SYS drives (including the *replaced*
ldev 3), restore the BULDJOB# files and stream them.

Then, you should be able to do either:

   :RESTORE ; / ; keep; olddate; create

or

   :restore ; / ; (some directive saying only bring in the groups.accounts that
                   belong on $SYS ... but I can't recall it (or if there is
                   such a directive)

An way to do the second restore above is to first (before taking system down):

   :report @.@; onvs=system_volume_set

and save output into a file.  Then, massage it into a list of "@.group.account"
directives (e.g., @.NET.SYS), one per line.  Save that file.

After reinstalling OS, bring that file back and do an indirect RESTORE from it.

On second thought, that won't work as well as the first "restore"...because
it wouldn't get HFS files created under accounts or under the root (although
it would get HFS files created within groups).

Stan
--
Stan Sieler
www.allegro.com/sieler/wanted/index.html