HP3000-L Archives

April 2003, Week 2

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:53:14 EDT
Jerry writes:

> : Is it just me, or is the list just very quiet today????
>
>  It might have something to do with income taxes, or seeing which
>  country the U.S. goes after next:
>
>    o Syria
>    o Iran
>    o North Korea
>    o Cuba (google for "+cuba +biotechnology +terrorism")

In this case, you don't have to speculate. The blueprint for who to attack,
and in what order, has been written out for nearly a decade. During the
1990's a new group of Republicans, calling themselves "neoconservatives",
have worked out the order of attack in some detail.

Having this plan well in hand allowed them to write a open letter to the
President just days after September 11th. That letter appears at:

     http://www.nationalreview.com/document/document092101b.shtml

In it, they say:

AFGHANISTAN FIRST:

"We agree that a key goal, but by no means the only goal, of the current war
on terrorism should be to capture or kill Osama bin Laden, and to destroy his
network of associates. To this end, we support the necessary military action
in Afghanistan and the provision of substantial financial and military
assistance to the anti-Taliban forces in that country...

IRAQ SECOND:

"It may be that the Iraqi government provided assistance in some form to the
recent attack on the United States. But even if evidence does not link Iraq
directly to the attack, any strategy aiming at the eradication of terrorism
and its sponsors must include a determined effort to remove Saddam Hussein
from power in Iraq...

SYRIA & IRAN THIRD:

"Therefore, any war against terrorism must target Hezbollah. We believe the
administration should demand that Iran and Syria immediately cease all
military, financial, and political support for Hezbollah and its operations.
Should Iran and Syria refuse to comply, the administration should consider
appropriate measures of retaliation against these known state sponsors of
terrorism...

THE PLA FOURTH:

"Israel has been and remains America's staunchest ally against international
terrorism, especially in the Middle East. The United States should fully
support our fellow democracy in its fight against terrorism. We should insist
that the Palestinian Authority put a stop to terrorism emanating from
territories under its control and imprison those planning terrorist attacks
against Israel. Until the Palestinian Authority moves against terror, the
United States should provide it no further assistance.

US DEFENSE BUDGET*:

"A serious and victorious war on terrorism will require a large increase in
defense spending. Fighting this war may well require the United States to
engage a well-armed foe, and will also require that we remain capable of
defending our interests elsewhere in the world. We urge that there be no
hesitation in requesting whatever funds for defense are needed to allow us to
win this war."

*As a small note, the US Defense Budget already outstrips the next 20 largest
national defense budgets combined, and has been that way for nearly a decade
now. The US however, as has been previously mentioned on the list, is also
the stingiest of the industrialized nations in its contributions to foreign
aid.

Approximately half of the signatories to the letter are among the most
hawkish Jewish-American Republicans. A remaining quarter of the list are very
conservative Christians, almost all of whom subscribe to the "End of Days"
philosophy, people who Pat Buchanan inelegantly calls the "Amen Chorus." In
this strange Christian scenario, the return of Jesus is foretold by the Jews
reclaiming all of Israel. Unfortunately, in Act IV of this five-act play, the
Jews are vaporized, except for those very few who have come to accept Jesus
Christ as their personal Savior. There are a great many Israelis who think
that their government is nuts for having anything to do with these people,
but at the moment, allies of the Israeli government's actions are hard to
come by, and they will apparently will accept anyone they can, grasping at
straws as they are.

In that regard, Richard Perle, one of the signatories to the letter, recently