HP3000-L Archives

April 2003, Week 1

From:
fred White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
fred White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 08:15:25 -0700
On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 05:47 AM, Dave Swanson wrote:

> Hi Wirt,

> I think you should look into the term "Integrity" and see what terms
> are
> associated with it. Here are a couple to get you started:
>
> Responsibility
> Honour
> Duty
> Obligation
> Loyalty
> Respect
>
> I completely fail to see how a Retired General of the US Army could do
> anything BUT act the way Mr. Powell has. Asking him not to would be a
> violation of every fibre of his being.

in-teg-ri-ty:  1. the quality or state of being complete; unbroken
condition; wholeness; entirety  2. the quality or state of being
unimpaired; perfect condition; soundness  3. the quality or state of
being of sound moral principal; uprightness, honesty, and sincerity

Dave ... none of your 6 terms appear in Webster's definition albeit
they most certainly appear in military training manuals whose very
purpose (and rightly so) is to instill nearly blind loyalty and
obedience.

I agree completely with your last 2 sentences. Mr. Powell had to be
well trained to become a General and, when push came to shove,
performed in accordance with his long years of military training and
experience. In so doing, he traded his personal Integrity for the
Responsibility, Honour, Duty, Obligation, Loyalty and Respect to which
you refer and which governed his many military years.

FW