HP3000-L Archives

April 2003, Week 1

From:
carol darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
carol darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 20:34:05 +0000
Wayne -
I'm not suggesting that there is anything at all wrong with a proprietary
system.  Heaven knows after nearly 25 years on the 3K, I'm far to loyal and
satisfied with *proprietary* MPE than just about anything else i've ever
seen/worked on.
My point was that a number of years ago, Unix was touted as the *OPEN*
non-proprietary salvation of those of us locked in proprietary environments.
  My prior employer bought into that, as did any number of other companies -
spending vast sums trying to be *OPEN* and politically correct, without even
questioning whether the proprietary systems actually delivered the needed
performance, etc.
I just take a perverse pleasure in watching those people who never could get
the level of performance out of the replacement system  now hearing the same
things about their beloved (though evidently not infrequently cursed) UNIX
environment.