HP3000-L Archives

April 2003, Week 1

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 14:59:35 -0800
Kent writes:

> Is there a SQL server listserver.  I tried posting to the
> Microsoft site which is Web site, ½ an hour a go, my post
> does not show yet?
>
> Not  good.
>
> Is there a better listserver.
>
> Quality - Fit for use.

and

> I posted to this server around 2:00PM yesterday.  The message
> said I would see the post in 2 minutes.  The time stamp on my
> post shows 10:55PM.
>
> So far no response.
>
> Is this the Future?

At 2:55pm your time, you posted a message to the Microsoft TechNet
sqlserver.dts newsgroup via Microsoft's TechNet web site.  The message you
got back said that you would see the message in "a few minutes" (not two).
I just posted a response to your message and it took about ten minutes to
show up.

The 10:55pm timestamp is a result of the fact that the message list displays
in UTC (or at least posted time plus 8 hours), not because your post took 8
hours to be posted.

I believe these newsgroups are provided by Microsoft as a public forum, not
as an official support channel.  They do have other "managed" newsgroups
where you can get a guaranteed two day turnaround response from Microsoft if
you are a subscriber to one of their services such as MSDN.  So just like
3000-L, there's no *guarantee* that you'll ever get a response to a
question.

I was curious about your question since I've been doing some work with SQL
Server for a couple different projects lately.  I don't really know what DTS
is, but based on your question which was:

> I am new at this?
>
> When I schedule a DTS job then open again the schedule.
> The schedule appears to be gone.  How do I check existing
> schedules?  How do I know my schedule is still in
> existence?

a quick search of the MSDN library for "dts job schedule" quickly led to an
INFormational Knowledge Base article named "How to Reschedule a DTS Package"
which seems to indicate where to look for these jobs once you've set them
up:

"Open the SQL Server Enterprise Manager and navigate to the Jobs item
associated with your server. To find the job list, open the Management
folder, click SQL Server Agent, and then select Jobs."

So I'm curious as to whether this is an answer to your question.

As far as "Is this the Future?", I haven't had too many problems getting
answers to Microsoft related questions, mostly because of their excellent
(and publicly available) online information libraries (way better than
anything HP ever had).  Their (unmanaged) newsgroups suffer a bit from
over-specialization (there are too many of them) so the problem is that
there aren't enough helpful users reading each group looking for problems to
answer.  But like any other public forum sometimes you get good answers and
sometimes you don't.  Being able to put a question in a form that encourages
an answer (clearly indicating the problem, detailing what you've tried and
what documentation you've looked at, etc.) certainly helps.

I for one would not mind seeing the occasional Microsoft or Unix (or SQL
Server or Oracle) question posted here on 3000-L, since a lot of us are
learning more about these technologies as we explore more of the non-MPE
world.  It would certainly be more "on topic" than a lot of recent postings
here.

G.