HP3000-L Archives

April 2003, Week 1

From:
Joseph Dolliver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph Dolliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 08:17:49 -0500
And now for the other shoe ---->  I had made remarks about a month ago about
HP-UX regarding a possible phase-out sometime in the not to distant future.

Articles like this tell me that HP is on target to remove any propriety O.S.
as soon as possible.
Last year HPQ had made 2 Billion with LINUX...

Like Alfredo says "Be EXTRA careful, as you go over the hp3000 edge!" I
would add HP-UX to that
edge...  HP-UX is the next system in the canyon.

HP becomes a global services provider for the entire Red Hat Enterprise
Linux line
Enterprise Customers Now Have HP as Single Source for Linux Hardware and
Software Support
HP (NYSE:HPQ) and Red Hat (Nasdaq:RHAT) have signed an agreement making HP a
preferred vendor for delivery of single-point fulfillment and service of the
complete Red Hat Enterprise Linux
product line on HP industry-standard hardware. Under the terms of the
agreement, HP becomes a global services provider for the entire Red Hat
Enterprise Linux line of certified solutions, which includes Red Hat
Enterprise Linux AS, Enterprise Linux ES and Enterprise Linux WS. The new
agreement also details further collaboration between the two companies
across their respective global services organizations. "The new agreement
between Red Hat and HP marks an important step in helping to further Linux
in the enterprise," said Al Gillen, senior analyst, IDC. "The
combination of world-class support and industry-standard hardware with the
price and performance advantages of Linux will appeal to enterprise
customers." The worldwide leader in Linux server
shipments, (1) HP will support the Red Hat Enterprise Linux family of
solutions on both 32-bit IntelŪ architecture and ItaniumŪ platforms. HP is
working to integrate Linux solutions with services by offering customers
greater flexibility and single-point-of-contact service-level
agreements. "HP is expanding its relationship with Red Hat to bring
enterprise-class  functionality and global support to Linux. Today's
announcement builds on our $2 billion in
Linux-based revenue in 2002 and our decade of commitment to the open source
and Linux communities," said Peter Blackmore, executive vice president, HP
Enterprise Systems Group. "HP is the single source for all Linux hardware
and software support for customers." Red Hat announced Red Hat Enterprise
Linux ES, which is designed for edge-of-network and departmental server
applications such as network, file, print, mail and Web serving. This new
product complements the family of Enterprise Linux products, which consists
of Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS, for high-end server deployments, and Red Hat
Enterprise Linux WS, for workstation deployments. "Red Hat is pleased to be
working with HP on this integrated approach to delivering Red Hat Enterprise
Linux solutions," said Mike Evans, vice president of channel sales and
development, Red Hat.
"Enterprise customers will benefit from increased flexibility and the price
and performance advantage of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux platform on
reliable and scalable HP hardware."