UTCSTAFF Archives

April 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Joe Dumas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Dumas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 13:48:29 -0400
Greg O'Dea wrote:
> Or maybe she meant that our students are all second- or third- or
> fourth-rate losers. I don't know. Without a fuller context, there's nothing
> one can reasonably say about the remark.

The ironic part about the whole thing is that it got started when Rep.
Brown and eleven other legislators took comments made by Sen. David
Fowler completely out of context.  At least that is evident to me, as if
his remarks were considered in context there is absolutely no way that
any reasonable person could infer that they were "racist".  So if people
are taking her remarks out of context, she is truly "hoist with her own
petard."

Kathy Winters wrote:
>>I still have a big problem with her statements.  As a state
>>representative, she, because of her position as a state legislator, is
>>responsible for the state of affairs in which we find the University.
>>The state allocates the money and therefore the resources the University
>>has.  This remark made in any context is unacceptable from a state
>>legislator.

I agree.  Rep. Brown should publicly apologize to David Fowler and his
constitutents for her original remarks, and to all UTC students, faculty
and staff for her later comments.  If she fails to do so, her
constituents should consider changing representatives at the next election.

Joe Dumas

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_35635.asp