SCUBA-SE Archives

April 2003

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 22:38:56 -0400
Bjorn Vang Jensen wrote:

> Grokster is a horrible piece of crap, which
> you need to get rid of immediately. It is a bastardization of the KazAa
> software. If you want an advert-free version, download KazAa Lite from
> www.kazaalite.com instead. It does exactly the same. Also, to rid your
> machine of all that ad-ware and other spy-ware, download the free version of
> Lavasoft's Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.com

Grokster/Morpheus/Kazaa[lite] all use the same basic protocol.
Gnutella/BearShare/Limewire are yet another.
eDonkey/BitTorrent/DirectConnect use still others.

Yes, kudos to KazaaLite, and if it doesn't include the privacy
enhancement fix, drop me a line for it.  Kazaalite has all the adware
and spyware hacked out of it, and you should set to "not share your
files" to keep the nosy lawyers out, plus the privacy patch.

Ad-Aware is good, and Spybot Search and Destroy is a bit better,
especially when used in combination.  SSD can be obtained from:

    http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=download

Both are freebies.

Jeff