HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 4

From:
Chuck Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:59:23 -0600
> The last time I checked, freedom of speech was still a "feature" of
> democracies like ours. Hence I have to allow for your "point of view?"
> And hopefully you will allow others their opinion. And maybe we
> can all just stay here and no one will have to leave. Wouldn't that be
> duckie?
>
> Tom Hula
> Victor S. Barnes Company

One of the saddest things I think I have seen is what has become of the 60's
free speech movement.

Veterans of that movement are stll active in liberal politics and education
today. Unfortunately it turns out that Free Speech means anything they agree
with. Otherwise it is called Hate Speech and any action, legal or otherwise,
is perfectly acceptible to stop it.

I have witnessed many a conservative audience give a civil hearing to
someone airing views they would fight to the death to defend against. I have
witnessed even more liberal audiences screaming, shouting and threatening
speakers who even hint at a different viewpoint.

This is one of the earliest observations that has made me into what I
classify as an anti-liberal.

I strongly believe everyone has the right to speak their mind. However, I
also reserve the right to disagree and hold them responsible for their
words.

Comments are my own, not my employer's... etc.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This electronic message is legally privileged and
confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee.  If you
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message or any
attachment is strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error,
please notify the sender by reply e-mail, so that our address record can be
corrected and delete it immediately.