HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 4

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 23:09:42 +0100
Wirt wrote...

>Nonetheless, if HP3000-L turned into a purely technical newslist, where it's
>a repeat of the information that could be gotten out of the manuals with a
>little bit of work, it would hold no interest to me.

But it might hold interest to those people who don't read the manuals
carefully enough, don't have the right manuals or need some guidance
on where to find them at docs.hp.com, or even have questions that can
not simply be answered from the manuals but also benefit from sharing
experiences with fellow hp3000 community members.

;-)

>The OT posts on HP3000-L have always been the posts that hold the most
>interest to me. They're intrinsically the most informative, even if
>occasionally not much thought is given to them by the poster, but they work
>to build a sense a community that would never exist if this were purely a
>technical newsgroup, and they make HP3000-L a very unique newsgroup ...

How about adding an ATMAR-L to [log in to unmask] It could complement
HP3000-L quite nicely, and still allow for an easy separation of scientific,
political, relgious, and boring technical discussions (the latter on hp3000
or surrounding technical topics).

;-)

>While the number of off-topic posts has dropped dramatically in the last
day,
>I don't think that has anything to do with Gavin's idle threats (Gavin is
>just bamboozling everyone; he isn't going anywhere. Heck, he hasn't anywhere
>else to go :-). Rather, I think that now that the war has started, ...

I must have missed the posting where Gaven declared war on someone.

;-)

Lars.

PS: I am not against the occasional off-topic postings that used to be
on HP3000-L in the past. I just feel overwhelmed by extensive religious,
political, best drummer, local weather, and whatnot discussions that
seem to have taken over the list recently. I don't want to say anything
against those type of discussions, I just wonder if there aren't more
appropriate places on the internet to place them.