HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 4

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:11:05 -0800
Re:
> We are getting a new MPE box.  We want to use mod 20 disk arrays.
> The vendor is willing to pre configure them for us.
> When we get the box and load the SLT tape, will that wipe out
> the pre-configuration?  How do I keep my current configuration,
> and use the pre-configured mod 20 disk arrays?

(BTW, quoting is easier if you configure your mail GUI to put
<return> in every 65 to 72 characters...your "We are..." paragraph
was a single line with no <returns> in it.)

You can't ... you have to decide which configuration you want ...
the one on the new box, or the one on the old box.  If the old box
isn't the same model, I highly recommend using the new box's
configuration!  (Even if its the same model, I'd use the new config
if the disk configuration is different.)

If they're the same model, but with a different number (or location)
of disk drives, you could try the following on the old machine:

   - create a new SYSGEN configuration for the new machine (but,
     remember, you're doing this on the *old* machine).

     This configuration would have the disk drives (and, as needed,
     all other I/O devices) configured *as they will be on the new
     machine*.

   - Keep the config as "NEW" (or some such name...don't just "KEEP",
     which would overwrite your current computer's configuration)

   - still inside SYSGEN, cut an SLT tape (e.g., TAPE VERBOSE; STORE = ^FULL)

     FULL is a unnumbered ASCII file with the text:

         / - DUMPAREA.MPEXL.SYS - SL.PUB.SYS - NL.PUB.SYS
         ; directory; compress; progress; partialdb

This should produce an SLT tape you can use to UPDATE the new machine.
(You could INSTALL instead, if that's your choice.)

Note: it isn't clear what "pre-configured" means on the new machine...
are the drives declared in SYSGEN and known to MPE?  Or, in addition,
have they been added to various volume sets?

> Stu Diamond
> HP Systems Manager
> Symbol Technologies Inc.
>
> Phone:   1 631 738-5521