HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 4

From:
Richard Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 17:58:07 +0100
I suppose no one can state clearly 100% that this war is for <fill in
reason>, as essentially all politicians are liars and manipulators.  Of
course we can only speculate, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence that
Saddam would attack America even if he was capable and he certainly isn't
even capable, Rumsfeld has even admitted as much.

If it's about liberation of the people from oppression then surely there
would be other countries on the list, ahead of Iraq, added to that, is the
fact that Western countries still support a number of horrible regimes in
the world without it affecting their conscience.

So why then, I guess we will never really know, but there seems to be some
evidence that the main motivation is the control of Oil.  It is a fact that
world wide Oil production outside of the Middle-East is diminishing.
American is extremely reliant on Oil, in fact, you could almost go so far as
to say it is the most important commodity it imports.  Added to that recent
problems in South America, where it was importing Oil.  We also have the
excuse of 9/11 to start throwing it's military might around.  We have the
country government who's entire background is Oil.  I guess it doesn't take
too much of a leap of faith to say that Oil control might be the main
motivator.

I haven't seen any other reason for the war.

Jim wrote:

"This is a war against terrorism and the regimes that promote it and pay for
it.  al qaeda was first, then iraq.  We will have to see who is next.  Some
are going to continue to claim that saddam has no connection to bin laden."

I don't know where you get your information from Jim, but I felt it was
fairly clear that bin Laden and Saddam had absolutely no common ground at
all and were in fact enemies.  There seems to be this kind of smoke and
mirror's attempt to try and persuade people that somehow Saddam is connected
to 9/11.  I've even heard Americans, blaming him for it.  I am not sure that
even now with a common enemy for both Bin Laden and Saddam that their
differences could be forgotten, but I suppose it is possible.  Other than
that I have not seen any evidence or even real claims that Iraq has any
connections with terrorist actions against the US.

Jim wrote:

" Although oil is the primary reason the
french are opposed to the war.  They want the oil and think they won't get
it after we win.  They may get some but it won't be as cheap as they have
been paying.
The russians didn't want us in there because they were trying to hide the
fact that they have been selling saddam weapons."

I am not sure about the weapons side, but I know that the French and the
Russian, quite rightly are pissed off.  They have worked very hard over the
last 10 years to ensure that have agreements with Iraq for the supply of
Oil.  The US/UK now move in and don't intended to honour those agreements.
In fact that want to profit themselves from the situation.  What would the
US reaction be if the boot was on the foot.