HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 4

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 07:43:53 -0800
Mark said,

> True, but with a longer tape you won't run into EOT quite as fast. I
> used to use DDS2 tapes in DDS1 drives ... I still got DDS1 speeds and
> recording densities, but the longer tape gave me a proportionate
> increase in total storage.
>
> However, just because I did it doesn't mean I recommend it. As Denys
> points out, drives and media are designed together, and mixing one
> media with an older drive might spell disaster. Proceed at your OWN
> RISK.
>
> Considering how critical backups are, it is NOT the place to be
> looking to save a few dollars.

While I certainly agree with Mark's last statement, and think everyone
should take it to heart, I wonder about his claim to have used DDS2 tapes in
DDS1 drives. This never worked for us with HP drives (DDS3 will not load on
DDS2 drives either; nor DDS4 on DDS2). Our operator occasionally got
confused and put the wrong tape in one of our many HP3000s or HP NetServers.
Never worked. If you did not pay attention to backup logs you might think it
worked in some cases, but it never really did.

Don't cheap out on backups. A good backup can be a job saver - and a failed
backup, ...

John Burke