HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 4

From:
Jay Chandru <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Chandru <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 07:42:21 +0000
Hi All,

I am using a socket listener program in HP3000 which listens to a particular
port for incoming requests.

The requests are coming from the Internet to make some updations to the
TurboImage database. The front end is a ASP.NET with WEB SERVICES doing the
business logic (putting the TI updation request in the socket).

Coming to the socket side, we have a call socket (listener program) which
will create a virtual socket (Child program spawned from listener program)
for every request from the WEB SERVICES.

1) I want to find out the load which this listener program can take at any
instant of time.

Using the ADDOPT intrinsic with option code 6, we can set the maximum
connection requests queued (option code=6, length=2, 2-byte integer)
(input). Used to specify the maximum number of unreceived connections that
can be queued to a call socket. The default value is 7.

NOw can anyone let me know the significance of this ADDOPT with option code
6.

2) Also what should i do to disable the timeout on the call socket.

Should i use the IPCCONTROL intrinsic?

3) When simultaneous requests are made on the data buffer, how is each
request independancy maintained from each other.
e.g. I have a request A from the web services, made on the socket. The
listener program processes this request and spawns a child program and this
child program processes the request and passes the data back to the request
A through the port.(is this true?)

NOw if at the same time, i have request B also from the web service, how is
the data returned by the child program differentiated for requests A and B.

Will a situation arise where i am looking for the response for request A in
the socket port and what i get is a response for the request B which was
also made at a similar time.

If the above situation arises, is there any method in which i can solve the
same.

If any body has worked on this or has some information on this, can you pls.
pass it to me.

Any pointers would be extremely helpful.

The listener program and the child program are in HP-COBOL.

Thanks in advance for you time and help,
-Jay S. Chandru

The docs.hp.com manual is at
http://www.docs.hp.com/mpeix/onlinedocs/5958-8600/5958-8600.html

Chat now. Chat this instant. http://messenger.msn.co.in/  Get MSN Messenger