HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 4

From:
"Wayne R. Boyer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 15:18:51 EST
In a message dated 3/26/03 10:14:29 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> The truth sucks. There a couple of support companies
> that don't stock spare parts...

Oh so true!  For years a large part of my company's hardware sales have been
to service companies.  Of course, a service company has to somehow balance
the probable demand for spares against the cost, etc.  I have never really
liked the occasional "Hot Emergency!!!  Gotta get it shipped NOW!!!!!"
situations that would sometimes come up with regard to common low-value
items.

As Bob suggested, verifying parts availability  is a good idea.  I would also
recommend going a step further for low-cost but potentially critical hardware
items.  Get a spare!  Test it!  Put it on YOUR shelf (or even keep it
running).  The downtime your prevent will be your downtime.

FYI: Bob's company - Ideal Computer Services rarely buys anything from us.
Why?  Don't they like me?  Actually I just think that they have a pretty good
pile of parts and they rarely need to call.

Wayne
Cal-Logic