HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 4

From:
"Bob J." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob J.
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 01:14:06 -0500
"Wayne R. Boyer" wrote:

> I honestly never understand these reports of common and fairly recent (< 10
> years old) equipment being in short supply.

 The truth sucks. There a couple of support companies
that don't stock spare parts. The convenient excuse when
a part is needed is to claim that "parts are tough to get".
Next they start looking for a source for that part.
 One of my former employers always pulled that crap. Unfortunately
quality companies get grouped with the bad apples. I always
suggest system managers ask to visit the vendor's LOCAL parts
warehouse. The parts in their warehouse should resemble the
units on support. No reason to assume the OEM has the most complete
local stock either.
 Remember than snow job suggesting that 9x7 parts will become
scarce and expensive? Different motive but still nonsense.

                 Bob J. -- Ideal Computer Services
                 http://www.icsgroup.net