HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 18:16:03 EST
Fred writes:

> > I only said anything to point out the absurdity
>  > of preferring one person's opinion over another
>  > because of "instinct".
>  >
>  > The actual opinions of either person were not
>  > even considered to raise that point.
>
>  Good point.
>
>  However, Wirt wasn't comparing any pair of opinions. If I recall
>  correctly, he was merely stating a willingness to bet (a priori) on
>  FW's instead of EV's. It's a statistical thing.
>
>  Right or wrong, that's his personal position however absurd.

My opinion is more rational than it's being made out to be. As I wrote
earlier, I've known both Fred and Eugene for more than 20 years. That's long
enough to get to know someone reasonably well, and I consider them both my
friends.

Nonetheless, I see two differences between Fred and Eugene. As I've written
before, I consider Fred to be nearly the ideal American. Fred is smart,
onery, intelligent, cantankerous, and skeptical, while Eugene is just smart.

The second difference is that Fred would never hesitate to say "bullshit" to
the nonsense that either party were putting out, regardless of who was in
office, while Eugene has an agenda. Indeed, he's dispensing some of the
bullshit for one side.

Thus, if there's any moral in any of this, it's: Be A Fred, be Very A Fred.

Wirt Atmar