HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:40:26 EST
Lars writes:

> Don't know if anybody ported ssh to the 3000, but if nothing else
>  helps, you might evaluate the WRQ and Minisoft products that offer
>  SSL capable Telnet or NS/VT sessions. Last time I looked, they were
>  called EnterView or Javelin, respectively.

We're not at all indisposed to putting SSL Telnet into QCTerm. Indeed it
appears quite easy to do. We've bought the telnet OCX that's used in QCTerm
now from a company called IP*Works (/nsoftware). They also have a Telnet/S
version of the OCX available, however the module costs $1000.

If someone were really interested in having this done, we will be pleased do
it for $2000 ($1K for the OCX, $1K for labor charges), with the understanding
that everyone else would eventually get it for free.

>  They used to have an encryption proxy implemented in Java, so it
>  should also be possible to run it on the 3000 itself (although a
>  dedicated proxy HW would probably more efficient, cpu-wise).

The dedicated external HW is really the way to go. QCTerm wouldn't be talking
directly to the HP3000 but rather to some proxy Linux-like box which would
relay the conversation onto the HP3000 over a very short, second independent
LAN. This architecture would require no modification to the HP3000, nor any
porting effort.

However, whatever is done in this regard would be the responsibility of the
user organization.

Wirt Atmar