HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 3

From:
Cortlandt Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:54:11 -0800
Dave,

<quote> I'm sorry I called you a moron.   You are a moron, but it wasn't
nice of me to point it out.  I plagiarized those lines from a Canadian moron
just like you.  tee hee hee.  I hope you are still laughing.    If you don't
get the joke that proves just how big a moron you are. <unquote>

All humor touches on a serious issue; the saying "You either laugh or you
cry" sums it up rather well.  I wrote the lead paragraph of this email to
illustrate the gray area between sarcasm / biting humor and personal
attacks.   Not everyone is going to "get it".    If you use humor like that
some people will be offended.   To pretend otherwise is disingenuous.

Yes Dave I got the humor in the piece that Atwood quoted.   I really enjoyed
your words as well.   Thank you.  I do, however, think it fair to point out
that while much of the humor in the piece Atwood quoted was self-deprecating
the first couple of "jokes" were not.

On a different topic ...
>It's ok tho, Americans aren't supposed to Understand it. That's part of the
>Joke...

I could say that a lot of Americans do understand it ... but that would be
undiplomatic. ;-)

P.S.  In any case I think you are all just jealous of my 'Atwood-Atmar axis'
quip.   A three word alliteration no less.   Such wit!   Such style!   ...
Such self-promotion.

Cortlandt Wilson
(650) 966-8555