HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 3

From:
Tom of Bunyon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom of Bunyon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:32:34 -0600
"John Clogg" <[log in to unmask]> wrote in message
> I first heard this joke about 35 years ago, and it was painful then!
>
> For those list subscribers who live outside the USA, here is an
explanation:
> Milwaukee, Wisconsin is a city in which many breweries are/were located.
> Many years ago, one major brewing company, Schlitz, used the advertising
> slogan, "Schlitz, the beer that made Milwaukee famous."

Yes you do indeed have to explain these things - I once made the mistake of
calling a job "WhoaNelly". Found out the next day that the entire Singapore
office had spent the entire day frantically searching for what the technical
term "WhoaNelly" meant.

Worst was when there was an e-mail discussion about some software switch
inside an Invoicing program (called TIGER) that they were planning on having
us switch on for a company spinoff, back on at the beginning of the year,
back off when the Euro became the EU currency, and then back on at the end
of "Day Two". There was a lively discussion back and forth between the US
and Germany. I got a little too flippant and said maybe they should hook the
job up to The Clapper (tm) - "Clap On <Clap> <clap>, Clap Off <Clap> <Clap>,
Clap On, Clap Off, The Clapper (tm)". Found out later that when my (US)
group leader saw it, he howled out loud laughing so hard that his wife
rushed up to his office thinking he was being killed or something. I got a
talk about "Internationalism" and being careful of cultural references. It
also blew the e-mail thread totally dead.