HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 3

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 18:25:52 -0800
Howard Hoxie wrote:

> I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue I'm having:
>
> I have a 987 running 6.5pp3 where I've configured Apache and
> have the website up using the system's hostname.  I'm also
> trying to develop additional servers using the same IP
> address and a different port (8080) than the one in the
> default (80).  I want to do this so that I can put financial
> reports on a separate intranet site and restrict access using
> a .htaccess file or an allow file (haven't gotten that far yet).
>
> I've set up a separate .conf file with the /ACCT/GROUP name
> as the server location and I'm able to access that directory
> location by entering the IPaddress and port in my browser,
> but not the new DNS name for that IP (FINDEV).  Do I need to
> ask the network guys to alter the DNS entry to indicate port
> 8080 for this new DNS entry using the same IP address as the default?
>
> Do I make any sense?  It seems the more I work on this the
> less sense I make...

I would use Virtual Named Hosts which "looks" like you are running multiple
servers. No need to mess around with separate ports. Your .htaccess file
goes into the directory your want to protect, which would probably be the
document root of the virtual server you want to password protect.

HTH,
John

* John Burke                                              *
* Burke Consulting      Email:  [log in to unmask] *
* 7224 Pine Grove Way   Phone:  (916) 987-0265            *
* Folsom, CA 95630      Web:    www.burke-consulting.com  *