HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 3

From:
Brian Duncombe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Duncombe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:22:34 -0500
At 10:49 AM 3/19/2003 -0500, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>         I have to say that I too have set up filters - note that's plural
> - and I still
>get too much noise (read OT) from this list.
>
>         I didn't join 3000-L to participate in political, religious, and
> other OT
>discussions.  I am interested in thoughts about our common (technical)
>ground not the OT BS.  I can get enough opinions on the OT stuff elsewhere.
>There is enough that divides people in this world, I'm not looking for
>division
>here.  I used to enjoy the 3000-L because we had something in common.
>But there are those among us that can't seem to find enough division in their
>world, so they bring division to a group that, once upon a time, had found a
>common interest.
>
>         PLEASE use a standard indicator for OT posts.  I don't really
> care which
>one, but choose one and stick with it.

As someone who from time to time (travelling) must give up the decadence of
a high speed connection and go back to simple modems, I object to the
volume of crap at any time.  Just because the world has the bandwidth,
doesn't mean we have to see that as a challenge and spend our days trying
to fill that capacity.
As others have said, I also enjoy some of the OT stuff but this list has
gone WAY over the line!
So, I don't see filtering as a solution.  I would prefer that the zealots
simply take their discussion to a more appropriate place and we go back to
the occasional joke, interesting dissertation by Wirt/Gavin/etc, or hot
news flash such as the shuttle disaster.

Brian Duncombe  [log in to unmask]  http://www.triolet.com
voice: 1-877-TRIOLET (874-6538) (905)632-2773 fax: (905) 632-8704
"Inside every large program is a small one desperately trying to get out"
C.A.R. Hoare