HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 3

From:
Bill Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 21:58:43 -0800
I met fellow lister Craig Lalley today - he had driven all the way down from
Eugene Oregon - starting at midnight - to pick up a set of 3 HP9000 E45
computers in rack , assorted disk drives, and 2 E45's (with rack) that
rolled off the lift gate of the truck I had rented months ago. We took the
damaged E45s out of the dented rack and all this was stuffed into Craig's
Ford Explorer. He drove down 516 miles and got here around 09:00.

These came form a site that had closed down - and it was a bit funny to see
Craig react - the way I did a few months ago - "want a terminal - here, take
one" - need more disks?

I told him that when I went to the site - imagine seeing things like 50
700/96 terminals - all stacked - and the offer to take what you want - what
isn't given away will be thrown away - anyway the little that I have left
will go to the recycler (not HP) when we move in 8 days. I was limited by
the room in our office (and moving to a place  less than 1/2 our current
size). Tracy Pierce got the 3000 (957?) a few months ago.

It was interesting to me to think of the new price of all this stuff - all
made in the mid 90s - I probably gave away a good $200-$300,000 worth of
stuff - probably more - but then, you all know that game. Still fascinating
to me.

HP's new recycling program doesn't seem to fit what we want to recycle - so
things like our HPIB 2566A, 7978 tape drive, will go to the metal recycler.
We can't put them in a box that HP requires now ;-)

I am pulling out the remaining 2 GB drives from the cabinets - I will have
5 - just to not waste those - so if any of you want one of these - for the
price of shipping - I'll send you one. At least Craig & I think they are the
2GB rives - I'll post the part number if anyone wants.

My friend Calley Riley - who was laid off along with everyone else at this
shop - simply wanted her equipment to have a nice home - and I think they
did. Craig even managed to fit the 2 units that rolled off (encased in the
rack) to use as spare parts, if nothing else.

So it was nice to meet Craig and hope to meet more of you in the future...

Happy HP'n

Bill Brandt