HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 2

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 17:38:51 EST
Alfredo writes:

> If you are interested in the future of computing and if
>  you enjoy interacting with primary forces in the computing
>  environment, check this out.
>
>      "O'Reilly customers, the hackers and alpha geeks,
>      are the ones who show us the shape of the future..."
>

>  April 22-25, 2003 -- Westin Santa Clara (California)
>  http://conferences.oreillynet.com/etcon/
>
>  Partial speaker list:
>
>  Howard Rheingold
>  Alan Kay
>  Clay Shirky
>  Eric Bonabeau
>  K. Eric Drexler
>  Kevin Lynch
>  Tim O'Reilly
>  David S. Isenberg
>  Brewster Kahle
>  Dan Gillmor
>  Steven Johnson
>  David Weinberger
>  Meg Hourihan
>  Wendy Seltzer
>  Ben Hammersley

In a show of blatant one-upsmanship, if you're really interested in the
*future* of computing, let me recommend this NASA/DoD-sponsored conference on
evolvable hardware:

.
                    C A L L   F O R   P A P E R S

            2003 NASA/DoD Conference on Evolvable Hardware
                          July 9 - 11, 2003
               The Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL
                    <A HREF="http://ic.arc.nasa.gov/~eh2003">
http://ic.arc.nasa.gov/~eh2003</A>

              *** Note: deadline extended to March 17 ***

Sponsored by:
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)

Supported By:
Information Sciences and Technology Directorate, NASA Ames Research
Center
Computing, Information and Communications Technology Program, NASA
Ames Research Center
Life Detection Science and Technology Program, Jet Propulsion
Laboratory
Space Exploration Technology Program, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Navy Center for Applied Research in Artificial Intelligence, Naval
Research Laboratory

The 2003 NASA/DoD Conference on Evolvable Hardware (EH-2003) will
be held in Chicago, Illinois. The Conference builds upon the
tradition of the successful series of NASA/DoD Workshops on
Evolvable Hardware (the first Workshop hosted by JPL in Pasadena,
1999; the second Workshop hosted by NASA Ames in Palo Alto, 2000;
the third hosted by JPL in Long Beach in 2001; and the fourth
hosted by NASA Goddard in Washington DC).

Evolvable Hardware is an emerging field that applies evolutionary and
related algorithms to automate design and adaptation of physical,
reconfigurable, and morphable structures such as electronic systems,
antennas, MEMS and robots.  The purpose of this conference is to bring
together leading researchers from the evolvable hardware community,
representatives of the automated design and
programmable/reconfigurable hardware communities, technology
developers and end-users from the aerospace, military and commercial
sectors.

Evolvable hardware techniques enable self-reconfigurability,
adaptability and learning by programmable devices and thus have the
potential to significantly increase the functionality of deployable
hardware systems.  Evolvable Hardware is expected to have major
impact on deployable systems for space systems and defense
applications that need to survive and perform at optimal
functionality during long duration in unknown, harsh and/or
changing environments. It is also expected to greatly enhance the
capability of systems that need modification, upgrade and learning
without interrupting their operation.

The focus of this year's conference will be evolvable hardware for
reliability.  Reliability issues range from fault-recovery and
survivable NASA/DoD systems operating in extreme environments to
intelligent adaptive and learning systems for protection of areas
and security of communications.

Topics to be covered include, but are not limited to:
Evolutionary hardware design
Co-evolution of hybrid systems, such as wetware, chemical, mechanical,
and electronic components, etc.
Intrinsic/on-line and extrinsic/off-line evolution
Hardware/software co-evolution
Self-repairing, reconfiguring, and fault tolerant hardware
Embryonic hardware
Novel devices, testbeds and tools supporting evolvable hardware
Adaptive computing and adaptive hardware
Real-world applications of evolvable hardware, such as:
   -Security and watermarking of digital data
   -Radiation hardening
   -Biometrics
   -Detection and identification of biological agents and
extraterrestrial
    lifeforms (astrobiology)
   -Ultra-safe systems

SUBMISSION OF PAPERS

Prospective authors are invited to submit their work by email in
PDF, PS, or MSWord formats to [log in to unmask]  Papers
are limited to 10 pages and should be submitted in
single-spaced, 10 point type on a 8.5" X 11" or equivalent paper
with 1" margins on all sides.  Each submission should contain the
following items: (1) title of paper, (2) author name(s), (3) first
author physical address, (4) first author e-mail address, (5) first
author phone number, (6) a maximum 200 words abstract.  Accepted
papers will be published in the Conference proceedings.

The conference will maintain its single-track forma and will include
posters sessions and panel discussions.   Research groups are invited
prepare a poster describing their research.  A one-page abstract of
the poster should be submitted following the same procedures as the
paper.

For further information please contact:
Jason Lohn
EH-2003 Conference Chair
NASA Ames Research Center, MS 269-1
Mountain View, CA 94035, USA
Tel: +1 (650) 604-5138
Fax: +1 (650) 604-3594

IMPORTANT DATES
Submission deadline: March 17, 2003
Author notification: April 18, 2003
Camera ready manuscript deadline: May 7, 2003
Conference: July 9-11, 2003

Conference Venue:
The Westin Michigan Avenue, <A HREF="http://www.westinmichiganave.com/">
http://www.westinmichiganave.com/</A>

Organizing Committee

Jason Lohn         NASA Ames Research Center (Chair)
Ricardo Zebulum    Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Co-Chair)
James Steincamp    Marshall Space Flight Center (Co-Chair)

Program Chair:
Didier Keymeulen   Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Co-Chair)
Adrian Stoica      Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Co-Chair)

Local Chair:
Michael I Ferguson Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Chair)

Program Committee:
Tughrul Arslan, University of Edinburgh (UK)
Peter Athanas, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
(USA)
Forrest H. Bennett III, Pharmix Corporation (USA)
Neil Bergmann, Queensland University of Technology (Australia)
Silvano P. Colombano, NASA Ames Research Center (USA)
Rolf Drechsler, Univeristy of Bremen (Germany)
Tim Edwards, Johns Hopkins University (USA)
Hugo de Garis, Utah State University (USA)
Stuart J. Flockton, Royal Holloway, University of London (UK)
Dario Floreano, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (Switzerland)
Terry Fogarty, South Bank University (UK)
David B. Fogel, Natural Selection, Inc. (USA)
Manfred Glesner, Darmstadt University of Technology (Germany)
Al Globus, NASA Ames Research Center (USA)
Takashi Gomi, Applied AI Systems Inc (Canada)
Garrison Greenwood, Portland State University (USA)
Steven Guccione, Xilinx Corporation (USA)
Pauline Haddow, Norwegian University of Science and Technology
(Norway)
Inman Harvey, University of Sussex (UK)
Tetsuya Higuchi, Electrotechnical Laboratory (Japan)
Gregory Hornby, NASA Ames Research Center (USA)
Lorenz Huelsbergen, Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies (USA)
John Koza, Stanford University (USA)
Gregory Larchev, NASA Ames Research Center (USA)
Derek Linden, Linden Innovation Research (USA)
Daniel Mange, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (Switzerland)
Pierre Marchal, Centre Suisse d'Electronique et de Microtechnique SA
(Switzerland)
Trent McConaghy, Analog Design Automation (Canada)
Bob McKay, University of New South Wales @ ADFA (Australia)
Karlheinz Meier, University of Heidelberg (Germany)
Julian Miller, University of Birmingham (UK)
J. M. Moreno, Technical University of Catalunya (Spain)
Masahiro Murakawa, Electrotechnical Laboratory (Japan)
Viktor Prasanna, University of Southern California (USA)
Justinian Rosca, Siemens Corporate Research (USA)
Rob Rutenbar, Carnegie Mellon University (USA)
Eduardo Sanchez, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (Switzerland)
John Schewel, Virtual Computer Corporation (USA)
Hajime Shibata, Tokyo Institute of Technology (Japan)
Moshe Sipper, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (Switzerland)
Stephen Smith, Quicksilver Technology (USA),
Andre Stauffer, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (Switzerland)
Christof Teuscher, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (Switzerland)
Stephen Trimberger, Xilinx (USA)
Adrian Thompson, University of Sussex (UK)
Benny Toomarian, Jet Propulsion Laboratory (USA)
Jim Torresen, University of Oslo (Norway)
Andy Tyrrell, University of York (UK)
Xin Yao, The University of Birmingham (UK)
Tina Yu, Chevron Information Technology Company (USA)

NASA/DoD Advisory Committee:
David Alfano, NASA Ames Research Center
Leon Alkalai, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Scott Hubbard, NASA Ames Research Center
Alan Hunsberger, National Security Agency
Jose Munoz, Department of Energy
Alan C. Schultz, Naval Research Laboratory
Rich Terrile, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Anil Thakoor, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Steven Zornetzer, NASA Ames Research

It's my intention to attend this second conference. Indeed, I'm preparing a
paper now on the architecture necessary to achieve very high speed
evolutionary hardware to present at the conference.

Wirt Atmar