HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 2

From:
"Gribbin, Francis J." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gribbin, Francis J.
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 15:21:46 -0500
Hi John,

My understanding is that when you are a node on the internet, you're
available to be hacked.  Your ISP probably gives you a TCP/IP address when
you dial in.  So a potential hacker has to be looking at that address while
you're on the internet.  So its probably OK, but not without risk, to go
without a firewall.

I prefer ZoneAlarm because it catches all the software on your PC that tries
to phone home while you're on the internet.  Just like you attach to port 80
of a web site, WRQ does fast transfers over specific ports of your PC.
You'll need to open those ports on your firewall so WRQ can use them.  I
believe the ports were mentioned in a previous post to 3000-L.

Frank Gribbin
Potter Anderson & Corroon LLP