HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 2

From:
"Wayne R. Boyer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 20:53:24 EST
In a message dated 3/12/03 7:16:37 PM Pacific Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> Ed, when it comes to some of HPs older stuff (that you can't easily box) you
> have to have at a minimum a pickup truck - now I intend to rent a truck
> with
> a liftgate - nevertheless I will make a couple of queries to our community
> colleges - one of them Sierra College - has had HP equipment donated to
> them
> by HP Roseville. Still I think you could expend a lot of energy following
> this route just getting a lot of frustration - but I will make a few calls.

Bill's 2566A is HPIB.  That's a show stopper for the rest of the world.
However it is worth mentioning that any 256x printer can easily be converted
to either RS-232 serial or to parallel simply by swapping out the interface
board and then entering a few settings on the control panel.  To me, it's a
terrible waste of good equipment like this to have it ground up for scrap
metal.  Hopefully if more non-HP people know that they can attach such a
printer to a PC, etc. then more people could put these printers to work again
in a new environment.

I hope Bill's big printer finds a new home and a new usefull role in life!
Wayne Boyer