HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 2

From:
Russ Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Russ Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:47:33 -0800
To prove that there is a discussion about oil that does not immediately involve Iraq...

This was the first year I had to get my car Smog Checked, having finally passed my three years of new car exemption; and bit the bullet last night and spent my $24 to have the car's exhaust "sniffed" by a computer.  The young man behind the counter handed me the results, saying "you passed".  He was then going to continue with his day until I stopped him, by asking what the numbers were and what they meant.

A technician came to the counter, looked at the numbers, and before beginning to explain asked me how frequently I change my oil.  When I said every 3K to 5K miles, he nodded and said "that explains it", before continuing with his explanation of the printout.

Three columns: my car, normal value, what the state will accept.

1 / 10 / 38
22 / 110 / 500
8 / 60 / 200

My four year old vehicle produces very little of the particulates the state measures and regulates for passenger vehicles, and the biggest contributing factor according to the technician is that I change my oil and oil filter frequently.  When I lived in Virginia, the state stuck its nose into my business by requiring that the headlights, taillights, turn signals, windshield washer and wipers, horn, reverse lights, and breaks all worked; and I had to pay $10 per year for someone official to stamp my car saying they did.  In California, the state sticks its nose into my business by requiring that my car not poor huge amounts of pollutants into the air; and makes me pay each year for some official to stamp my car saying it doesn't.

Traveling for a living for many years, I visited quite a few places that should implement both of these intrusions, but that's another topic.

My point?  If you didn't believe your Dad or your high school auto shop teacher, this posting is just more evidence you can ignore, but you should monitor and change your oil and oil filter frequently.

Rs~

Russ Smith
The opinions expressed in this email are mine, and are not meant to reflect
those of any other party.  The subject matter herein is intended solely for
the named recipient(s) of this email.  Spellcheck cancelled.  Your mileage
may vary.  Look both ways and hold hands when you cross the street.