HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 2

From:
kevin bale <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
kevin bale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 07:33:00 -0600
LHradowy <[log in to unmask]> wrote in message
> I am in the process of making a bootable backup with (Ignite-UX Revision
> 3.2) on hpux 10.20 server.
> First I started with make_tape_recovery with the -x exclude=/tmp, but then
> wanted to run check_recovery, and the only was I can run check_recovery is
> by
> make_recovery -ACvi
>
> I tried docs.hp.com, and they just explain make_tape_recovery, is this
where
> it is heading?

If you mean are hp going to replace make_recovery with make_tape_recovery,
the answer is yes. The version we have says this when you run make_recovery.

> I also wanted to find more information on the Interactive restore that is
> created with the -i option. All the books show a recovery without
> interaction.

Even if you didn't include the -i option, it does give you a 10 second
countdown during which you can interrupt the recovery. Its kind of deadly
not to include it but, especially if you just want to have a look around.
Besides, you almost always want to adjust something before letting it
recover the system.

> I wanted to check so I booted to the tape, but I got confused when it
looked
> exactly like it was going to do a fresh install of HPUX. Where on boot in
> interactive does it show you if you wanted to recovery a specific file.

It doesn't as far as I know. When you are at this point, the only thing you
can do is a complete recovery of the boot disk(s).

If you want to get a file off the tape, use tar. HP use pax to create the
archive but its in tar format. From memory, you need to use mt to advance to
the second file on the tape. The file names are probably in absolute format
so be prepared to have a live one overwritten if you get it back.

> Also, does it actually restore according to the files on the tape? I got
out
> of the menu screen for fear of reinstalling HPUX.

You would indeed reinstall your system. The only difference is that you put
back your updated version of HP-UX that you copied to tape.

I believe the recovery kernel that you boot from tape is much the same as
that used by the installer. Same goes for the interactive menus.