HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 2

From:
Brice Yokem <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brice Yokem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 19:31:39 -0500
> No one WANTS to goto war. Civilians, Soldiers, Generals, Diplomats, all
feel
> the same way towards warfare. It's ugly. It's horrible.

 I wish I could believe this. Rumsfeld & Cheney & Bush have no experience of
war,
 apart, in Bush's case, of avoiding participation. They don't show even the
slightest
 aversion to other peoples' participation. They certainly aren't
 risking themselves in the coming conflict, and since the coming conflict
 isn't going to be between two armed forces I'm not sure you can even call
it a war.
 I'd say, from what we see in the UK, that Rumsfeld at least actively does
want
 the "war".

I think what Mr Swanson meant here was that no one wants war for wars
sake, which is the cry of the warmonger.

As far as the people in the Bush administration having war experience,
Cheney was Sec of Defense under Bush Sr. during Desert Storm.  Also,
you left out Powell, who was calling for diplomacy at first, but now
has turned around,  HE has experience with Desert Storm also.

Most of the people in the armed forces are ready if not eager to do
this, so I don't know how much criticism can be levelled at the Bush
crew for wanting to risk 'other people'.