HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 2

From:
Greg Cagle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Cagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 16:01:39 -0600
 Donna Garverick wrote:
> Zora Naron wrote:
>

>>I was wondering if anyone has done any kind of comparisons between the HP-
>>UX and IBM UNIX.  If so, could you please either email me  the information
>>or the sites where I can find some information.  I know I am comparing
>>apples to oranges but they are both fruit just the same.
>

> this isn't first-hand information....rather it's from listening to our unix
> admins carp :-)  it's my impression that if *our* unix admins had a say (which
> they don't :-)....we wouldn't be running hp-ux at all.  of the proprietary
> unixes...uni-ni...ummm....unixen...ack....anyhow -- they prefer sun's or
> ibm's.  i believe hp as made some strides in recent years, but our admins used
> to 'sing the praises' of aix for supporting 'hot' kernel changes but hp-ux
> required a reboot (for example).

Right. HP has been talking about dynamic kernel modules for a long time,
but DLKM (while good) still isn't what people want. Solaris and AIX
are ahead of HP-UX in this area.

If you read the D.H. Brown Unix reports, UX is not that much different
than Solaris or AIX. The main problem is that it isn't Solaris, which
is the market leader. UX is #2, AIX is #3. And, it differs in a number
of small ways where HP either 1) thought it had a better idea or
2) adhered more closely to the standard. Trouble is, Sun usually is
better at getting people to accept "better ideas" and often ignores
the standard completely, making for incompatibilities among Unices (!).

> frankly, i find the 'flavors on unix' debate to be just like (and equally
> inflammatory) us proclaiming the glories of mpe vs <fill-in a lesser os here>
> or the dreaded windows vs mac argument :-)

Agree. It's another "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin"
discussion.

> personally, if i were making a career-making/destroying decision on
> flav-o-unix, i wouldn't go with aix.  i don't see ibm supporting for much
> longer given their very public embrace of linux.  also, i believe that aix is
> not receiving updates at the same rate as other unixes....oh never mind
> :-)          - d 'probably way out on a limb'

Solaris knowledge will continue to be useful for some period of time,
but I'm seeing LOTS of expensive Sun machines getting replaced with
cheap Linux machines, at least on the low end.

--
Greg Cagle
gregc at gregcagle dot com