HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 2

From:
Richard Ali <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Ali <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:00:16 +0000
Brice writes:
>...it is a prime example of communist propaganda.

What struck me, rather, was its humanism. We see what we wish to see, I guess.

>Pre-emptive strikes are nothing new.
It's not that pre-emptive strikes per se are new, it is the doctrine of pre-emptive strikes as a declared (illegal) tool of one nation against another that may pose a threat at some undetermined future date. A concept so flimsy that if all nations employed it we'd descend into anarchy.

>As far as new diseases are concerned, the biggest threat comes from Iraq.
Could you clarify that comment?

Here's a couple of wars we ought to get involved in.
AIDS:  http://www.avert.org/worldstats.htm
Malaria -:  http://www.who.int/inf-fs/en/1InformationSheet03.pdf

>There is more stuff there which would be laughable...
Fair enough. I still consider it superb. Though the spirit of the words may not be applied in their fullest by the speaker does not diminish the message or sentiment, in my view.
¯---

>What WMD's did we sell to either side in the Iran/Iraq war?
US and Iraq:  http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-528574,00.html
UK and chemical weapons plant: http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,908212,00.html

I'd say Guy makes an interesting point. The Iraq-Kuwait issue was of greater seriousness than the West surmised, as Saddam saw it as reclaiming land that was originally part of Iraq.

Regards

Richard Ali

(comments my own, etc...)

Richard Ali
Smith & Williamson Corporate Services Limited

The contents of this email are confidential to the intended recipient and may not be disclosed.  Although it is believed that this email and any attachments are virus free, it is the responsibility of the recipient to confirm this.

Smith & Williamson Corporate Finance Limited - A member of M&A International Inc. http://www.mergers.net  Registered in England No. 4533970.  Regulated by the Financial Services Authority
Smith & Williamson Investment Management Limited, Registered No. 976145.  Regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
Smith & Williamson Pension Consultancy Limited - Independent Intermediary.  Registered No. 3133226. Regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
Smith & Williamson Unit Trust Managers Limited, Registered No. 1934644.  Regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
Smith & Williamson Limited - A member of Nexia International.   Registered in England No. 4534022.  Regulated by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales for a range of investment business activities.

Registered Office: No. 1 Riding House Street, London W1A 3AS
Telephone: 020 7637 5377 http://www.smith.williamson.co.uk

Nexia Audit Limited - A member of Nexia International.  Registered in England No. 4469576. Registered to carry on audit work and regulated by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales for a range of investment business activities.

Registered Office: No. 1 Riding House Street, London W1A 3AS
Telephone: 020 7637 5377 http://www.nexiaaudit.co.uk