HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 2

From:
Joe Weisman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Weisman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 18:02:23 -0800
Our annual users' group conference is coming up and I am going to be
getting up in front of all of them and some of them are going to ask me if
I believe it is possible that they can continue using MPE beyond 2006 or
are they really going to be forced to give it up and buy Linux boxes or
something.  Shall I just wave my arms and grin and exude confidence, or is
there some information which is available and not entirely hopeful bullshit
which I can share with them?  None of them use any database products but
the larger ones do have fairly large boxes with up to 500 terminals.

We have clients on several different UNIX platforms, but the ones on MPE
view UNIX of any flavor with considerable fear and trembling, or maybe even
horror. Some of them also have very elaborate MPE shells they have
developed which they would like to keep.  Some of them are quite passionate
about MPE and quite upset that anyone would ask them to give it up.

I am not looking for any commitments or promises (yet); I just want to get
an idea of the current level of optimism, expectation, and maybe even intent.

If brute force doesn't work, you just aren't using enough of it.

  Joe Weisman
  Computers for Marketing Corporation
  541-745-5265 (voice)
  541-745-5266 (fax)