HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 2

From:
"Shahan, Ray" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shahan, Ray
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 08:18:23 -0600
You forgot to mention 'a butt-load of available high quality software
systems too'.  Logical file structures (very cool, but can be an indexing
nightmare).

Of course, as with all things, there are some down sides too...for instance,
no OS level generic file lookup...if you don't where your file is, you're
going to have a hell of a time finding it (this, to me, is simply
inexcusable...shame on IBM).  No callable/editable REDO stack (and no, F9 is
not even close)...just to name a few.

But, overall, from what I've seen and heard (and learned at the local tech
college), if I had to do an ugly migration (read as not using ELOQUENCE),
then I'd go for the iseries...SDA (screen design aid on the AS400) is not
that far from VIEW on the hp, the DB2 interface is top notch relational (and
QRY400 is fairly cool), and OS400 is not very difficult to learn (although,
they should add examples to the F1 help screens vs. just syntax
explanations). I shouldn't need to touch on COBOL since I'm sure you are all
aware that on an IBM, COBOL was not an afterthought resolved by a host of
third party vendors (hint, hint).

Love and Kisses,

Ray Shahan

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans", John Lennon

by MailMarshal