HP3000-L Archives

March 2003, Week 1

From:
John Hurt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Hurt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 10:16:02 -0600
'Commandancy of the Alamo
Bexar, Feby. 24th, 1836

To the People of Texas & all Americans in the World-- Fellow Citizens and
Compatriots--

I am besieged by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna--I have
sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a
man--The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise the
garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken--I have answered
the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the
walls--I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name
of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to
come to our aid with all despatch--The enemy is receiving reinforcements
daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five
days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long
as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own
honor & that of his country--Victory or Death.'
-- William Barret Travis Lt. Col. comdt.

* * * * *

Let the old men tell the story
Let the legend grow and grow
Of the 13 days of glory
At the siege of Alamo.

Lift the tattered banners proudly
While the eyes of Texas shine
Let the fort that was a mission
Be an everlasting shrine.

That they died to give us freedom
That is all we need to know
Of the 13 days of glory
At the siege of Alamo.

Were Alamo Heroes Foolish?
By Chuck Baldwin
March 6, 2002

Today marks the fall of the Alamo in 1836. Some 186 brave and determined
patriots withstood Santa Anna's seasoned army of over 5,000 troops for 13
days. To a man, the defenders of that mission fort knew they would never
leave those ramparts alive. They had several opportunities to leave and
live. Yet, they chose to fight and die. How foolish they must look to this
pragmatic generation of spoiled Americans!
It is difficult to recall that stouthearted men such as Davy Crockett, Will
Travis, and Jim Bowie really existed. These were real men with real dreams
and real desires. Real blood flowed in their veins. They loved their
families and enjoyed life (Travis was only 23 years old) as much as any of
us. There was something different about them, however. They possessed a
commitment to liberty that transcended personal safety and comfort.

"Liberty" is an easy word to say, but it is a hard word to live up to.
Freedom has little to do with financial gain or personal pleasure. Freedom
brings with her an unattractive companion called "Responsibility." Neither
is she an only child. "Patriotism" and "Morality" are her sisters. They are
inseparable. Destroy one and all will die.

Early in the siege, Travis wrote these words to the people of Texas: "Fellow
Citizens & Compatriots: I am besieged by a thousand or more of the Mexicans
under Santa Anna. The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion,
otherwise the garrison are to be put to the sword. I have answered the
demand with a cannon shot & our flag still waves proudly from the walls. I
shall never surrender or retreat. VICTORY OR DEATH! P.S. The Lord is on our
side."

As you read those words, remember that Travis and the others did not have
the Anti-Christian Liberties Union, the People for the un-American Way, and
the National Education Association telling them how intolerant and
narrow-minded their notions of honor and patriotism were. A hostile media
did not constantly castigate them as a bunch of wild-eyed extremists. As
school children, they were not taught that their forefathers were nothing
more than racist jerks.

The brave men at the Alamo labored under the belief that America (and Texas)
really was "the land of the free and the home of the brave." They believed
God was on their side and that the freedom of future generations depended on
their courage and resolve. They further believed their posterity would
remember their sacrifice as an act of love and devotion. It all looks pale
now.

By today's standards, the gallant men of the Alamo seem rather foolish.
After all, they had no chance of winning - none! However, the call for
"pragmatism" and "practicality" was never sounded. The clarion call they
answered was, "VICTORY OR DEATH!"

Please try to remember the heroes of the Alamo as you listen to our gutless
political (and religious) leaders calling for appeasement, compromise, and
tolerance. Try to recall the time in this country when ordinary men (and
women) had the courage of their convictions and were willing to sacrifice
their lives on the altar of freedom and principle.

I'll tell you this, those courageous champions didn't die for any political
party or for some ambiguous "lesser of two evils" mantra! They fought and
died for a principle! So did the men at Lexington and Concord. That is our
history. On second thought, do they look foolish, or do we?