UTCSTAFF Archives

March 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Yvonne Kilpatrick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yvonne Kilpatrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:11:01 -0500
I believe one solution may be to place a greater responsibility on the
students to prepare for the advisement experience.  Our program sends a
memo to all pre-majors inviting the students to schedule an advisement
appointment.  We ask that they come to their appointment with a copy of
their RAP sheet (mailed to them by the Registration office) and a tentative
schedule.  This requires preparation on their part and the use of the
on-line timetable prior to their advisement session.  The advisor is then
responsible for assuring that the student has planned for the appropriate
courses, not the specific time schedule.  Thus, it is not necessary to have
multiple copies of the time table available in the department.  If needed,
the advisor can simply refer to the website on their own computer as they
meet with the student.  Our pre-majors know the expectation and, as a
whole, follow the process.  I believe one of the objectives of placing the
timetables on the website and on-line registration was to encourage
students to be more engaged in the planning of their coursework.  It does
not replace the need for the advisor for we should be diligent to assure
the students have planned for appropriate general education and
major-related requirements.  It creates a team approach, actively involving
both advisor and student in the process.  Both the website and the ASIS
program provide such valuable information about students.  I would
encourage anyone who has not received training in ASIS to do so.  We are in
the business of students at this university and this is a tool we can use
to assist them in their journey through their educational process.--Yvonne