UTCSTAFF Archives

March 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Fritz Efaw <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fritz Efaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 17:48:38 -0500
Stephen,

Thank you for an eloquent statement that should remind all of us about
keeping our priorities straight.  In my opinion, you're correct about the
flag, correct about the blessing of a non-political military, and most of
all correct about remembering that the ones who get killed are ordinary
boys and girls, not so different from UTC students, who are enlisted
personnel and junior officers on all sides, as well as civilians of all ages.

I also agree with your comment about the inexcusable treatment of Vietnam
vets.  Any anti-war protester who disrespected a vet was not only rude but
also amazingly stupid.  Far worse was the treatment by the VA and the US
government generally.  Two friends of mine, Bobby Muller and Ron Kovic,
were in the Bronx VA hospital at the same time; that's where they became
anti-war activists in the DAV.  We have a history of that in this country
going back to the bonus marchers from WWI being burned out of their camps
by Major Eisenhower serving under Colonel MacArthur.

I've copied below a couple of e'mails I've received lately that echo some
of what you're saying.  Horace Coleman is a vet in L.A., Ben Chitty is in
New York, and Chuck Yates is in Indiana.  The list of chickenhawks Horace
refers to can be found at

                http://www.nhgazette.com/chickenhawks.html

It's always good to look back where people of a certain age were years ago.
 Including myself (not a veteran).  In that vein, I'd like to refer to a
memorable statement John Kerry made 32 years ago to the Senate Commitee on
Foreign Relations at a time when Vietnam vets were storming the Capitol to
return their medals.  It can also be found at

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/history/marshall/military/vietnam/vets_a
gainst.txt

Fritz Efaw.

At 10:16 AM 3/22/03 -0500, Stephen Leather wrote:
> [...]
>essence non-political. It does not make social or economic policy for the
>nation, nor does it decide upon national objectives. Politically oriented
>militaries typically result in dictatorial military governments (I bet you
>can name a few). This makes the military into a tool.
>
>Is this good or bad?
>
>Pretty much any tool can be used for good or ill. A hammer can be used to
>kill a person or it can be used to build a house. A military organization
>can be used to destroy freedom (see the dictatorships of the world) or to
>protect and promote it (UN peacekeeping missions, election monitoring
>missions, and humanitarian aid and relief missions).
>
>When a person kills with a hammer we don't prosecute or denounce the
>hammer, we prosecute and denounce the wielder of that hammer. My plea to
>you is that we not denounce our military, our tool, but support it.
>Denounce the policy decision maker if you so choose.
>
>I now change my references to the military from "it" to "them" because the
>military is composed of people, most of whom believe in what they are
>doing, or did at one time, and people typically require support when they
>are under extreme stress and are having to make incredibly difficult
>decisions. I'm not necessarily talking about admirals and generals, I'm
>talking about Joe and Jane Average Enlisted Person or even junior officers.
>The majority of those in the military. The ones who can actually get killed.
>
>If you wish to denounce someone, make sure its the right person for the
>right reason according to your beliefs.
>
>Please don't ask all the people whom you pay to risk their lives to regret
>their decision. Ask the ones who sent them.
>
>Support your local hammer.
>
>Thank you for your time and attention.
>
>Stephen Leather
>
>>Dear University Community,
>>
>>I was honorably discharged from the U.S. Navy just over a year ago. I am
>>not fond of life in the Navy and I am definitely not fond of this war or
>>the decisions that brought us here. That is for personal reasons (I have
>>friends on the USS Abraham Lincoln right now) but mostly for political and
>>economic reasons.
>>
>>When the nation flies the flag at half staff, it is flown at half mast on
>>all U.S. Navy ships and on U.S. military bases and embassies overseas. I
>>disagree with this war but I DO NOT WANT ANY KIND OF MESSAGE SENT TO MY
>>FRIENDS THAT WE DO NOT SUPPORT THEIR ACTIONS!!! That smells of the
>>treatment that Vietnam Veterans received upon their return. If anyone can
>>explain to me why that treatment was not reprehensible and inexcusable,
>>please do so. (I do not condone all actions taken in war, so there is no
>>need to address the wholesale slaughters of children and villages with me.
>>They were the actions of a few, and in many cases were the result of
>>decisions of more senior personnel and policy makers.)
>>
>>After the conflict is concluded will be an appropriate time to lower the

From Chuck Yates:

Will,
Pay careful attention to what Ben says here.  Then think about this: nobody
wants those warriors to suffer over there in Iraq.  Nobody wants them to
feel any pain, any fear, any sorrow, any uncertainty about what they do or
why they do it.  Nobody wants them to have a bad time.  But never forget
that every single one of them volunteered to be in uniform.  They didn't
just volunteer to "serve their country" or "protect America's freedoms" or
any of those other sweet things the president likes to say.  They also
volunteered to be where they are now, doing what they're doing now, and
feeling whatever pain, fear, sorrow, uncertainty, or whatever else they
might be feeling right now.  They volunteered to get all that innocent
Iraqi blood on their hands, and they volunteered to spend the rest of their
lives wondering, just like us old dumb over the hill Viet vets, whether
they did right or wrong, whether their president lied to them, duped them,
used them, threw them away, all in the pursuit of his own pathetic
glory.  Those warriors don't need to be there, but there they are, of their
own free will.  They don't need our support.  Their parents, brothers,
sisters, uncles, aunts, wives, children, neighbors -- that's who will need
our support, when those warriors start coming home in bags, in pieces,
because their government put them in harm's way for no reason.  Just like
us, Will.  Just like you and me.
Chuck Yates
USN, VN 11/68-3/70