UTCSTAFF Archives

March 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:17:16 -0500
Let us not make up the rules as we go along; there is a Federal Flag Code
which describes the proper display of the flag.  The relevant section 2m
is included below for reference.

I agree that the sentiment is well placed (to honor those killed in combat),
but the flag should not be lowered in this case except by Presidential order.
It *definitely* should not be lowered in order to "express shame and sorrow"
over our nation's policy, whether you agree with it or not.

The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an
instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again
raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag
should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of
the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff
upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the
Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their
memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries,
the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential
instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices
not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former
official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the
United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may
proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. The flag shall
be flown at half-staff thirty days from the death of the President or a
former President; ten days from the day of death of the Vice President, the
Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker
of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an
Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or
military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State,
territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a
Member of Congress. As used in this subsection -

(1) the term 'half-staff' means the position of the flag when it is one-half
the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;

(2) the term 'executive or military department' means any agency listed under
sections 101 and 102 of title 5, United States Code; and

(3) the term Member of Congress' means a Senator, a Representative, a
Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico.

Daniel G. Hyams

On Friday 21 March 2003 12:56, Harman, William wrote:
> Lower the flag:
>
> for those wishing to support our presence in Iraq a flag at half-mast would
> express real grief regarding the deaths already sustained and anticipated
> of Americans and innocent Iraquis; for those against the war, a half-mast
> flag would express the shame and sorrow felt over our nation's disregarding
> all rules of just war and international legal procedures at the U.N.

 Daniel G. Hyams
 Assistant Research Professor
 UT SimCenter at Chattanooga
 Email: [log in to unmask]